Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 the year of Isaac.

Well there are a lot of "end of the year" blog post going on out there. Really cute ones with slideshows of all the things you have made and how much your kids have grown. I should probably do that, however it would take a while to compose, so I think I'll just stick to the highlights and my goals (gasp!) for this year.  Above is a short little clip of Isaac at 9months, and his photo. That's pretty good right??

I did a LOT of sewing before Isaac was born. I think I did 5 or 6 quilts. A few for friends, a few still in a box waiting to be quilted. I was bored and needed (as in almost ready to have a baby, and NEEDED to finish some things...anything to distract me from actually getting worried/nervous about the up-coming baby). Some were big (like Keely's) others were baby size (actually a LOT were baby size, hahaah, i guess I had babies on my mind). At any rate, Isaac came in March, and I think I quit blogging/sewing/cleaning/cooking/ etc around about then. I coached Aug-October. And slowly got my head above water in November, when I started buying fabric again. Jason thinks I've gone crazy the past few weeks. But with all the 'end of year' deals, a quilter cannot help but try to cash in on the bargins (right?).

Today was the first time in about two months that I have pasteurized milk. I am hoping to try to make a bit of butter or mozzarella cheese out of some of it. Since I cleaned yesterday it's all in my order of things to get the house all messy again today :-p Does anyone else do that? I have been making a lot of bread lately too. It started as Christmas gifts, but out of need I've been making us a few loafs too. Not sure if they go faster because they are smaller, or if it's because I seem to snack on fresh bread/toast all day. That's about my extent of craftiness/homemaker mode. Even though we have eggs coming out our ears, I am not real keen on cooking the things. I think I am phasing out of cooking mode. For some reason quick and easy triumphs over 30min meals, and other than eating scrambled eggs, there's not much that sounds good with them that doesn't require an hour of prep/cook time.

One of my favorite Great Aunts passed away just before Christmas, and another earlier in the year. Both were highly influencial in my craftiness. Audrey taught me how to crochet, and though I don't make a lot of things this days, the fact that the craft is known is an amazing gift. Aunt Dot (or Dorthy) taught me how to cross stitch, and the joy in perfect applesauce. I learned from both the beauty of handmade gifts, and the hardiness needed to do the things that need to get done and to find joy in the things you want to get done.
 
So in a way that's my goal for this year. To focus on getting the jobs done that need to. And keeping the joy in the things I want too. (And not to get too worried over the things that stay in the 'to be done' pile).

Right now I better get lunch on the table for two little boys, and see if a little bit of 'joy' sewing can happen today :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment